Skip to Content

Asheville, NC House Fire, Jan 1907

FIRE IN ASHEVILLE.

Residence of John W. Neely Badly Damaged by Flames – Partial Insurance.

Special to The Observer.
Asheville, Jan. 28. – The residence of John W. Neely, at 11 West Chestnut street, was badly damaged by fire yesterday afternoon shortly after 4 o’clock. The fire originated near the roof, and before its discovery had gained considerable headway. An alarm was turned in and the firemen responded in splendid time. At the time of the alarm the wind was blowing a stiff gale, while snow pelted the faces of the fire-fighters as they made the fast run to the scene of the fire. Water was quickly turned on the burning structure and after a stubborn fight of more than 30 minutes the flames were under control and finally extinguished. Much of the furniture was taken from the residence before being damaged by the water and flames. The greatest damage to the residence is in the roof and second story. The loss is partially covered by insurance.

Charlotte Daily Observer, Charlotte, NC 29 Jan 1907



article | by Dr. Radut