Coal Glenn, NC Coal Mining Catastrophe, May 1925

MANY MINERS ARE ENTOMBED BY BLAST.

NORTH CAROLINA DISASTER TOLL MAY REACH 70

RECORDS SHOW 59 MEN IN MINE; 71 LAMPS ARE MISSING.

AT COAL GLENN.

By Associated Press.
Coal Glenn, N. C., May 27 -- The fate of three score or more miners entombed this morning by an explosion below the 1,000 foot lateral of the Carolina Coal company mine, near here, was undetermined tonight, although rescuers had succeeded in bringing in the surface six bodies and it was feared most of the others had perished.
Records of the mine showed that 59 men, 39 white and 20 negroes, had comprised the crew shich went into the mine, while mine officials reported that 71 miners lamps were missing and it was believed that figure might represent the number entombed.
Hope was expressed, however, by BION H. BUTLER, vice president of the mining company, that some of the entombed men might still be alive.
Rescue workers said that the air was clear in the mine below the point where the bodies were found. The fans were kept going all day in an effort to purify the air so that rescuers might be able to penetrate further into the dark recesses that are believed to hold the victims.
MR. BUTLER said the best information he had been able to obtain was that the first explosion occurred in the second right lateral of the mine approximately 1,000 feet from the entrance. The two explosions which followed at half hour intervals were believed by officials to have occurred between the second right shaft and the opening.
Mine authorities said the six men whose bodies were found apparently had died only a short time before they were reached.
While the wives, mothers and children of the trapped miners gathered at the mine, little hope washeld that many more of the victims could be reached before tomorrow despite the steady reenforcement of rescue workers.
Experts ordered here by the Federal bureau of mines were eagerly awaited although the services of two lorry loads of troops from Fort Bragg, N. C., were declined by Adjutant General METTS. General METTS arrived late in the day and took charge of the situation on behalf of Governor McCLEAN with a corps of engineers to assist in the rescue.
Raleigh, N. C., May 27.
Seventy-one men were entombed in the mine of the Carolina Coal company at Sanford, N. C., by an explosion early today and were further menanced by two additional explosions this afternoon.
A blast occurred following an attempt on the part of rescue workers to enter the shaft where the men were entombed and another occurred in another part of the mine. Fumes prevented workers from penetrating further than the first lift.
Governor McCLEAN this afternoon notified the adjutant general to hold several units of the National Guard in readiness to proceed to the disaster.
Coal Glenn, N. C., May 27.
The bodies of ARCHIE HOLLINS and HOLLIS RICHARDSON, two of the 71 men trapped in the explosion at the mine of the Carolina Coal company, near here today, have been recovered. Grave concerns for the safety of the other miners is felt.
The first explosion, according to mine officials, took place about 9:30 o'clock this morning followed by another at 10 and another at 10:30.
Fire has broken out in the mine which has handicapped the efforts of rescue parties.
Birmingham, Ala., May 27.
A mine rescue crew from the Birmingham branch of the bureau of mines will leave here at 11:50 o'clock tonight for Cummock, eight miles from Sanford, N. C., to give such relief as they may, to the men entombed in the mine of the Carolina Coal company.

The Morning Herald Uniontown Pennsylvania 1925-05-28

Continued

Read another article about the disaster (below).