Titanic Sinking - More Survivor Stories


Young Englishman and a Dozen Other Men Picked Up Nearly Frozen.


Collision Sounded Like Crash of Thousands of Glass Windows, Says Survivor at Plaza.

Four of the survivors from the Titanic disaster went to the Hotel Imperial. They were Mrs. L. A. Hippach and her daughter, Miss Jean Hippach of Chicago, J. J. Flynn of Philadelphia, and A. H. Blackworth, a young Englishman from London, who embarked on the Titanic for his first trip to America. The names of Mrs. and Miss Hippach appeared during the week among names of those saved, and Mr. Hippach and his son arrived during the day from Chicago to meet them. Mrs. Hippach and her daughter presented the appearance of nervous wrecks on their arrival at the hotel, and went immediately to their rooms and refused to see any one during the evening.

Mr. Flynn was totally unstrung as result of his fearful experience. The assistant manager of the hotel, F. H. Wiggins, attempted to ask him about the disaster.

"He could hardly reply," said Mr. Wiggins later. "He said it was an awful experience and when I asked him about the saving of a few passengers, he broke down and cried like a child."

Mr. Blackworth was not one of the fortunate ones who had a place in the lifeboats, but jumped from the rapidly sinking Titanic a few minutes before she disappeared beneath the waves and after swimming about for a while caught the side of an overturned lifeboat.

"It was not time to push forward," he said, "and I stepped aside for the women and children, as did scores of other men. I was in the smoking room when the crash came. It was fearful, and I can hardly describe it. There was, however, at first no panic. With the other men in the smoking room I rushed on deck, and heard, as was currently reported, that we had struck a tremendous iceberg. Most of the passengers were dressed, and for the first few minutes a marked calm in the midst of the uncertainty prevailed, the general impression being one of confidence in the stability of the ship. The first wireless message sent out was a request to neighboring ships to prepare to take off 2,000 passengers from the Titanic.

Manning the Lifeboats.

"Soon after the officers began to man the lifeboats and fear seized upon the women, and the scenes were pathetic and awful to the extreme. I hate to think of them.

"I am a good swimmer and resolved to make what effort was possible to save myself. I forgot to say that soon after the first crash, after the passengers were all on deck, the Titanic gave a dangerous list to starboard and then to port, which increased the terror of the passengers. I watched the boats go out of sight, and, finally, knowing the ship was doomed, I determined to jump and trust to fortune or Providence for means of safety. It was probably ten minutes or so, although it seems shorter, after I jumped into the water that the boat sank. I leaped from a height of about thirty feet.

"The water was horribly cold, and he first shock chilled me to the bone, but after swimming awhile I recovered the use of my limbs. Finally I saw ahead of me something black above the water and I made for it. It was an overturned boat, which shows evidently that all of the lifeboats did not strike the water right. About a dozen or more men, I think, were clinging to it, perched upon the broad overturned keel. I cried out, and as I neared the boat they helped me up on the keel. Most of the men were stokers---perhaps all were--- or steerage passengers.

"We were on top of the overturned boat until after 6 o'clock in the morning. The water at first was comparatively calm, and we stayed there in a kneeling or sitting position until toward morning the sea began to get choppy and rough, and most of us stood up to prevent the icy water from rolling over us and freezing us. As it was, several of the men had frozen hands and feet, and my hands were partially frozen. Toward dawn we saw in the distance the lights of a steamer approaching, the Carpathia. We shouted for joy as loudly as we could, but some of the men were so nearly frozen they could hardly speak. We could see in the distance some of the other boats, and watched the picking up of the passengers and saw them transferred to the Carpathia.

Shouted to Rescuing Boats.

"We waved our hands and coats and kept on shouting, and at last we saw a boat coming toward us. I never felt so happy as when I got in it and felt that I was safe.

Mr. Blackworth came into the Imperial with a little bundle under his arm containing a few garments given to him on the Carpathia.

"Can you take me in?" he asked the clerk. "I was a passenger on the Titanic. I haven't any money."

"Make yourself at home." said the manager, "and if you want anything ask for it."

The first thing that Mr. Blackworth asked for was a toothbrush, which a bellboy promptly got for him.

Mr. Blackworth's hands showed the effects of the freezing sustained while on the upturned boat, and he was in a very nervous condition, but otherwise appeared none the worse for his terrible experience.

"I cannot go into the details of the scenes among the survivors on the Carpathia," he added. "I want to forget it all for a time and get a long night's sleep."

The management of the Hotel Breslin sent a man to the pier to offer free accommodations to any of the passengers who might need it, with particular instructions for the second-cabin passengers or others destitute of means. Up to midnight, however, no one arrived to take advantage of the hotel's offer.

Mrs. T. M. Graham and her daughter, Margaret, were taken to their home at the Plaza by Mr. Graham, and although they refused to be interviewed Mr. Graham in speaking for them said:

"I have heard their story and cannot add very much to what is already known. They say that the night was perfectly clear and calm, and in fact was a regular Summer night except for the cold. The crash came at about midnight and although there was a terrific noise like the breaking of thousands of plate glass windows the big Titanic was not shaken to any great extent.

"Shortly after the crash orders were given to lower the lifeboats. There was no panic and everything was perfectly orderly. Mrs. Graham and Margaret left in the third boat and tell me that the Titanic was still ablaze with lights and remained so until she went down."

Mr. Graham refused to make any further statement for his wife and daughter. A room had been engaged at the Plaza for Miss Gladys Cherry, but at the last moment this engagement was canceled, Miss Cherry going with some friends.

Four other survivors were taken to the Hotel Netherlands. They refused to be interviewed and retired as soon as they entered the hotel. They are Mr. and Mrs. Frederick M. Hoyt, Mrs. Perrie Mareschal, and Herbert Buessell, whose name does not appear on the passenger list.

At the Ritz-Carleton.

Mr. and Mrs. T. D. M. Cardeza, the Countess of Rothes, and Sir Cosmo and Lady Duff Gordon refused to discuss their experiences after arriving at the Ritz-Carlton. But, both seemed in excellent health and spirits. They went immediately to rooms which had been reserved for them.

The Countess of Rothes was escorted to the Ritz by her husband and several men friends. According to one of the latter the Countess was in good health in spite of her experiences.

"She is particularly happy because her maid was saved," the friend said.

When a card asking for an interview was sent to her by a TIMES reporter she sent down word that she was too "weak" to see any one. At about midnight she sent for a physician. Dr. Edgar Dinkelspiel of 257 West End Avenue, who is frequently called to attend patrons of the Ritz-Carlton, was summoned. According to the hotel management, the Countess of Rothes is not seriously ill.

All of the Titanic's survivors who were brought to the Ritz-Carlton seemed to be in good health and spirits as they entered the hotel. The women were muffled up in raincoats, some of which had evidently been borrowed. But none of the women had to be assisted through the lobby, and most of them looked as though they were merely coming back from an automobile trip. Mr. and Mrs. Cardeza had a substantial supper served in their rooms shortly before midnight.

Continued in part 2, below