Long Island Motor Parkway, NY Vanderbilt Race Casualties, Oct 1910


Long Island Motor Parkway, New York, Oct. 1. - With dead and wounded marking nearly every mile of the course, the sixth Vanderbilt Cup race closed today with Harry Grant, driving a 120-horsepower Alco, a winner by the narrow margin of 25 seconds.
Joe Dawson, driving a Mannon, was second, 1 minute and 6 seconds ahead of John Aitken, in a National.
By his victory today Grant repeats his exploit of last year when he captured the cup in a car of the same make.
The winner's time for the 278.08 miles of the course was 4 hours 15 minutes and 58 seconds, or an average of 65 1/5 miles an hour, a new American record. The race was marked by fatalities second only to the Paris-Madrid race.

The Dead.
WILLIAM BACON, mechanician, Columbia car.
CHARLES MILLER, mechanician, of Chevrolet's car.
Fatally Injured.
HAROLD HALL, mechanician, body crushed.
HAROLD STONE, driver Columbia car, badly crushed.
MARTIN LEVISOHN, spectator, both legs and body crushed.
JOSEPH COOK, spectator, skull fractured.
THOMAS MILLER, spectator, legs ground off.
M. POTTER, spectator, ribs broken.
AUGUST GRAMUTTIN, chauffeur, spectator, internally injured.
WILLIAM PETERSON, spectator, face crushed in, skull fractured.
The Injured.
LOUIS CHREVOLET, driver Marquette Buick, bruises.
MRS. POTTER, spectator, internally hurt.
AUGUST SEEBACK, spectator, cuts and bruises.
EDWARD H. BROWN, spectator, hip dislocated.
CARNELL ROE, spectator, leg broken.
Five women in car struck by CHEVROLET, injuries unknown.
Five passengers in D'ZIUEVA automobile, injuries unknown.

Stone Fatally Injured.
HAROLD STONE of Los Angeles, driver of a Columbia, suffered probably fatal injuries in a crash soon after the start. Both legs are broken and he is injured internally. At the hospital it was said his recovery is doubtful. CHAS. MILLER, mechanician of the Marquette-Buick car, driven by LOUIS CHEVROLET, was instantly killed in a collision with a touring car along the route. FERDINAND D'ZUBLA, New York manager for the Pope-Hartford Company, was killed in a smash-up, while on his way down to the race. The number of accidents, short of fatalities, ran to scores.

Thrilling Sport.
From a sporting point of view the race was thrilling. There is no doubt it will go down in the annals of automobiling as the most hotly-contested long-distance event ever held over open-country roads.
Judged by its cost in killed and maimed, however, the race was a revolting spectacle and a severe arraignment of the manner in which it was conducted.

Spectator's Legs Cut Off.
One of the racers ran down and fatally injured a spectator in the Massapequa Road. The spectator was hurled under the car and both legs were severed and his body mutilated. He was rushed to Nassau Hospital.
The car is said to have been a Pope-Hartford driven by Fleming.
Thousands saw the thirty-one racers entered for the Vanderbilt Cup race state at daybreak today. Rain threatened to interfere with the race, but at 5:45 the drivers were sent away before a tremendous crowd.

Half Million At Roadside.
It was estimated that half a million spectators lined the course.
Thousands of automobiles and scores of special trains carried the enthusiasts to Long Island. Thirty-one entrants in the Vanderbilt Cup event arrived at the starting point before 5:15 o'clock.
Livingston in a National was the first to leave the mark. Mulford, driving a Lozier, followed. Chevrolet in his anxiety to get away "killed" his motor and was forced to recrank, losing a few precious seconds.

Page 2