Skip to Content

Angola, NY Lodge Room Fire, Jan 1885

DISASTROUS FIRE.

CHILDREN IN THE FLAMES -- TWO PEOPLE PERISH.

Buffalo, Jan. 30. -- At 9 o'clock a fire originated in the three-story building corner of Main and Lake Streets, Angola, N. Y., 20 miles from this city. The fire was caused by the explosion of a lamp in the lodge room of juvenile templars, which was in session at the time. There were about 50 children in the lodge room, and a scene of frantic excitement followed the explosion. The citizens turned out en masse, and, procuring ladders, commenced removing all from the building, their retreat by the stairways having been cut off. Many jumped from the windows, several being seriously injured. KATIE BANGERT and a small boy received fractures of the legs. Another boy, BERTIE PEASE, who was know to have been in the lodge room, could not be found, and has undoubtedly perished. One of the villagers, WM. THOMPSON, aged 66 years, was overcome with excitement and returning home, dropped dead in a fit of apoplexy.
The loss is estimated at $20,000. M. H. Rynock, hardware store, loses $9,000; insurance, $5,000; Mrs. Thompson, millinery, loss $2,500; insurance half of that amount; W. B. Sweet & Co., drug store, loss $4,500; insurance, $4,000.
The fire was got under control at 11:30 o'clock. A steam fire engine and hose carts left Buffalo for Angola about 9:40 and made the run in 29 minutes. They rendered valuable aid.

Biddeford Journal Maine 1885-01-31



article | by Dr. Radut