Eliot, NH House Fire, Mar 1930

OLD HOUSE AT ELIOT BURNED

New Fire Siren Goes Bad on First Alarm When Fuse Blows Out

A vacant house located at the corner of Main street and Beach Road in Eliot was destroyed by fire on Sunday night. The fire started among some grass on the road side where a cigarette had been thrown from a passing automobile and reached the house before it could be extinguished.

Inmates of the residence of K. Foss Hayes who discovered the fire sent in the alarm and prevented the fire from reaching a barn on the fire apparatus. The town firemen experienced a little hard luck with the new fire siren which was turned on for its first alarm. After letting out one blast it went bad because of the blowing out of an electric fuse.

The building was owned by Porter Hanscom and has not been occupied for several years.

Portsmouth Herald, Portsmouth, NH 17 Mar 1930