Bethlehem, NH Hotel Fire, Sep 1923

SCORE FLEE HOTEL FIRE AT BETHLEHEM.

Bethlehem, Sept. 18. -- The second disastrous hotel fire in the White Mountains this season occurred here Sunday night. The blaze, starting in a storeroom on the rear of the third floor of the Arlington Hotel, situated in the fashionable West End here, gutted the rear wing, caused the loss of several thousand dollars and drove out a score of guests. The Arlington is a landmark in Bethlehem and is owned and conducted by FREDERICK C. ABBEE of Maiden, Mass. He has run the hotel for the past 29 seasons.
The fire was discovered by a guest at 9 o'clock. A still alarm was sounded to avoid panic among the guests, some of whom had retired for the night, but when Fire Chief JAMES CARR arrived the fire had gained such headway that he sounded a second alarm and summoned all of Bethlehem's fire fighting apparatus to the scene.

Portsmouth Herald New Hampshire 1923-09-18