Skip to Content

Goldfield, NV Merchants Hotel Fire, Apr 1911

FAMOUS DESERT HOTEL BURNED

Merchants Hotel at Goldfield Destroyed by Early Morning Blaze

FAMOUS GAMBLING RESORT

Outlived Usefulness and Was Used to Quarter United State Troops

Goldfield, April 12 – The Merchants Hotel at Columbia, one of the most historic dwellings on the desert, was burned to the ground at 1 o’clock this morning. Three adjoining buildings were also burned and a property loss of $9000, with insurance at $1500 resulted. The hotel was owned by J. Casey McDonnel, a former member of the firm of Casey and Arden, who during the boom days established hotels at all the important mining camps on the desert.

The fire was caused by throwing a glass of water into the stove to create steam to blow the soot from the stove pipe. An explosion resulted and the force unjointed the pipe in a room on the second floor. Through the aperture thus created hot coals were scattered over the carpet.

The fire was not discovered until the upper floor and the roof were in flames. An alarm was immediately sounded and the Goldfield fire fighting apparatus hurried to the scene, a mile from the fire house.

Several narrow escapes were recorded as the sleeping tenants were forced to leave their rooms by the aid of ladders. However, no fatalities resulted. The fire department was greatly handicapped on account of the high wind that was blowing and the freezing temperature.

Nevada State Journal, Reno, NV 13 Apr 1911



article | by Dr. Radut