Jefferson City, MO Steamer TIMOUR NO. 2 Explosion, Sep 1854


We gather the following particulars of this terrible explosion, a short account of which we gave a day or two ago, from the St. Louis Democrat. The boat was wooding at the time she blew up, at EDWARDS' wood yard, a short distance below Jefferson City. All three of the boilers exploded at once, scattering death and desolation on all sides, and making a complete wreck of all that part of the steamer lying forward of the wheels. It is impossible to say who or how many were killed. There had been no register of deck-hands kept, and, doubtless, there are some who have been blown into eternity whose names will never be heard again, and whose fate will always remain a mystery with the circle of relatives and friends from which they will be missed.

We have learned that the complement of hands which the boat had at leaving this port was 45 or 47, and that of these but 25 have returned. The following is a list of the dead as far as discovered:

WM. KELCHER; EDWARD O'MAHEY; DAN CONNERS; _____ FLEMING; and CHARLES DIX. All but the latter were deck hands. MR. DIX was pilot of the boat, and a brother to Captain DIX. The wounded are as follows:

PATRICK FINNEY, deck hand, badly scalded; EDWARD ROACH, deck hand, scalded; three children of MR. CHARLES ECKLEY, the second clerk, scalded; MR. WHITE, a merchant of Roanoak, scalded; the second mate and a striker scalded, and brought down to this city and placed in the Sisters' hospital. Quite a number of others, deck hands, firemen, and passengers, were injured more or less severely, whose names we cannot learn. Fortunately there were but few passengers on board.

The boat was so badly injured that she sunk in seven feet water soon after the explosion, carrying down a valuable cargo, which must all be more or less damaged. The body of the pilot, MR. DIX, was brought down to St. Charles on board the steamer Elvira, and taken off to be interred at Bridgeton. A number of the wounded were taken to Jefferson City where every attention was paid them.

The cause of this most terrible accident has not as yet been explained.

The New York Times New York 1854-09-06