White Bear Lake, MN Sailboat Capsizes, July 1880



Again the Globe is called upon to record a Lake horror. Yesterday morning a merry party consisting of MR. and MRS. FRANK GIBSON and two children, both boys, aged respectively 9 and 11 years; MR. and MRS. JAMES DORE and an infant child; MISS ELLEN DORE, sister of James Dore; MR. and MRS. THOMAS CLINE and daughter KATIE; WILLIAM CLINE; C. J. SMITH; MICHAEL CURRAN and his sister ANNIE CURRAN, left St. Paul by the 9:25 A.M. train, for White Bear Lake, to join in the festivities of the day. Arriving there the entire party, fifteen in number, engaged the sail boat Nora belonging to the fleet of boats connested with the South Shore House, kept by W. H. Greenman. At the time of engaging the boat, Mr. Perry Orcutt, who is one of the sailors connected with the house, told them that it would be better to have an experienced man go along with them to manage the boat. To this the party demurred, saying that the Cline brothers were fully competent to manage it, as they had sailed a boat before. Satisfied with this explanation the boat was let, and the merry party started out between 12 and 1 o'clock. For an hour and a half they sailed here and there over the beautiful lake. There was only a gentle breeze blowing, and the surface of the lake was almost without a ripple. Every sail boat and row boat was in use, sailing in every direction.
Just as the party were about making for the landing, and at a point about equi-distant between the south point of the island and the west point of the main land, and on a line directly in front of the Leip house, suddenly, in the twinkling of an eye, the boat veered and capsized. MR. and MRS. GIBSON and their two children sank at once, as did MRS. JAMES DORE and MISS NELLIE DORE and KATIE CLINE. MICHAEL CURRAN managed to support his sister and MRS. CLINE until they reached the mast of the boat, which in a few moments sank below the water and again they were in danger of drowning. At this time MR. C. J. SMITH came to the aid of CURRAN, and the two women were supported to the hull of the boat, from which they were rescued by two young men who were out rowing, and seeing the accident, made all haste to their rescue.
One of these young men is named Frank Luley, residing at No. 118 East Sixth Street, near Jackson. The Globe regrets that it was unable to learn the name of the other young man, but it will take occasion to find out, and give to both the mood of praise which is their due for the gallant act they performed. They succeeded in picking up MRS. CLINE, ANNIE CURRAN, MICHAEL CURRAN and the infant child of MR. and MRS. DORE, which they found floating on the water. At first they supposed that the child was dead. With all haste they made for the shore with their overloaded boat, and placed the infant in charge of Mrs. Dr. C. E. Magraw, wife of Dr. Magraw, dentist, No. 79 Jackson Street, who has a cottage on the lake shore near the South Shore house. Mrs. Magraw at once used all means to resuscitate the child, and finally succeeded, and when the Globe reporter saw it last evening, it was as good as new and bids fair to live to old age. It may be said that the child owes its life to the unremitting and judicious efforts of Mrs. Magraw.

Continued on Page 2.