Newburyport, MA K. C. Hall Fire, Feb 1930

K. C. HOME BURNS AT NEWBURYPORT

Building Swept By Flames Early Today; $20,00 Loss

(By Associated Press)

Newburyport, Mass., Feb. 10--The residence which houses the Newburyport Council, Knights of Columbus, was swept by fire early today with a loss of $20,000. It was the second blaze in the building today. Shortly after midnight fire was discovered in the basement. Firemen were called and apparently extinguished it. An hour and a half later, however, the rooms were discovered blazing and this time the interior of the building was badly damaged before the fire was subdued. The loss is believed largely covered by insurance.

Portsmouth Herald, Portsmouth, NH 10 Feb 1930

--------

Fire Marshall Whittemore of Haverhill viewed the ruins yesterday afternoon and decided that an overheated furnace pipe caused the $25,000 blaze.

Portsmouth Herald, Portsmouth, NH 11 Feb 1930