Skip to Content

Beverly, MA Yacht Club Fire, Apr 1926

Dies of Suffocation

Beverly, Mass., April 30--(AP)--George H. Stamper, 60, died of suffocation in a fire which destroyed the building of the Jubilee Yacht Club here this morning.

The clubhouse was one of the landmarks of this city's waterfront. Stamper, who occupied a room in the building, and retired when the fire was discovered. He was awakened by members and dressed but apparently became confused by the smoke when he attempted to return for a coat. Damage to the building was estimated at $20,000.

North Adams Transcript, North Adams, MA 30 Apr 1926



article | by Dr. Radut