Walbrook, MD Electric Car - Buggy Accident, Jul 1898


Mr. And Mrs. Francis K. Carey Injured At Night While Driving Near Their Country Place.


Buggy Demolished And The Horse Had To Be Killed.

The Scene Of The Accident One Of The Darkest On The Road---Mr. And Mrs. Carey Carried Into The Electric Car, Which Belongs To The North Avenue Line, And Taken To A Drug Store---No Serious Wounds.

An electric car of the North avenue line of the Consolidated Railway Company ran into a buggy containing Mr. and Mrs. Francis K. Carey Saturday night about 11 o'clock, injuring both Mr. and Mrs. Carey, breaking the horse's leg and completely demolishing the buggy. Mr. Carey is a member of the law firm of Semmes, Carey & Bond.

The accident occurred within a few yards of the gate of Mr. Carey's country home, "The Mount," on Clifton avenue, just below Fifteenth street, Walbrook, and directly opposite the baseball grounds of the Walbrook Athletic Club. The spot is one of the darkest on the road. Electric lights are few and a long distance apart. The two hills which converge at the point are barely discernible at night.

Mr. Carey was able to tell yesterday how the accident occurred, although still being too weak from loss of blood to talk much. He said he and Mrs. Carey had been spending the evening with friends, and had started home about half-past 10 o'clock. They had driven along North avenue, following the railway track until within a short distance of their gate, the road along the wide slanting to such as extent as to make driving there uncomfortable. The first they knew of the approach of the car was the sound of it close upon them and a cry from the rear. Mr. Carey tried to pull the horse out of the track, but it was too late and in another second the car struck the buggy, carrying it along for some distance. The motorman, William Miller, managed to stop the car at the bottom of the grade, and jumping out he and the conductor, Henry C. Merryman, found Mr. and Mrs. Carey lying on the side of the track with the blood streaming from wounds in the head. The horse was torn free from the harness and the buggy was a wreck. The injured animal hobbled home on three legs, arousing the servants and terrifying them by his condition.

Mr. and Mrs. Carey were laid on the floor of the car by the motorman and conductor of the car, which was run rapidly back to Farrow Brother's drug store, North avenue and Tenth street. With the assistance of the motorman and conductor, they were walked into the store. Mr. Carey was placed in a chair and his wife was laid on a blanket on the floor. Dr. James A. Zepp, North avenue and Ninth street, was sent for and responded promptly. He ordered Mr. and Mrs. Carey, to be taken to the house of Mr. J. Bannister Hall, the father of Mrs. Carey, who resides at the corner of Northwest and Tenth streets. Mr. Hall was notified of the accident, and Lieutenant Johns, of No. 21 engine company, with a number of firemen procured a mattress from their building, upon which Mrs. Carey was carried to her father's home. Mr. Carey was brought over a few minutes later in the same manner, and Dr. Nathan R. Gorter, 1 West Riddle street, the family physician, was telephoned for.

Dr. Gorter and Dr. Zepp made a thorough examination of Mr. and Mrs. Carey, and remained with them until 2 o'clock yesterday morning. Mr. Hall said last night that the physicians had stated that neither Mr. or Mrs. Carey's injuries were serious, although the shock had been a terrible one. Mr. Carey has a deep gash in the back of his head probably done by the fender of the car, his collar bone is broken and he is bruised and scratched about the body. Mrs. Carey has a wound in the back of the head similar to that of her husband. The muscles of her left leg are badly wrenched. She is also bruised.

This is the second accident of the kind in Walbrook within a year. Dr. Clarence Diffenderifer was killed by an Edmondson avenue car as he was driving out of his gate.

Mr. Carey's horse was injured so badly that he had to be killed yesterday morning, his hindleg being broken.

The Sun, Baltimore, MD 11 Jul 1898