Bar Harbor, ME Downtown Fire, Oct 1910

Society Hall On Fire

FIRE AT BAR HARBOR.

BUSINESS SECTION WAS THREATENED WITH DESTRUCTION.

Bar Harbor,Me., Oct. 22. -- The absence of wind saved the business section of Bar Harbor from a disastrous fire early today when fire broke out in the rear of Society hall and burned for six hours, destroying three frame buildings. The loss was between $25,000 and $30,0000. It was partly covered by insurance. During the progress of the fire, C. E. WHITMORE, a jeweler, was badly burned and injured by being caught in his store and forced to jump through a window. He was taken to a local hospital. His condition was not considered very serious. The fire was the worst ever experienced here. None of the summer residences was threatened.
The buildings burned were Society hall, located at the morner of Cottage and Rodick streets and occupied by PERCY KELLY, grocer, CEASAR WHITTEMORE, jeweler, F. PRAY & Sons, piano dealers, and L. P. CARTER, plumber; hotel NEVELL on Rodick street, a three story structure containing 25 rooms and a wooden building owned by JOSEPH WOOD, a Portland publisher, and occupied by two tenements; a second hand store and bicycle repair shop. The hotel and Society hall were owned by CHARLES PINCE of Bar Harbor and MISS MARY GREELEY of Ellsworth.
The fire was supposed to have originated in the basement of the CARTER plumbing shop.

Lowell Sun Massachusetts 1910-10-22