Clinton, ME Fire, Dec 1894

The second disastrous fire to visit this hamlet was on December 22, 1894. About noon Sunday, fire started in the shoe factory, which was burned to the ground with all its contents. William Lamb's saw mill, a shingle mill with all its machinery, two long sheds and considerable lumber and Hodgdon & Smith grist mill, a dwelling house owned by Manly Morrison and occupied by John Waldron, all were destroyed. The fire caught in the office of the shoe shop by the overturning of a kerosene lamp. The shoe shop was built 2 years previous by the Clinton Village Mfg. Association, Manly Morrison, principal owner. Over 100 people were thrown out of employment by this disastrous blaze.

The Clinton and Benton Register, 1904, pages 17-18