Maranacock, ME Maranacock Hotel Destroyed By Fire, Aug 1905

Maranacook MAINE Hotel Burned 1905 1.jpg




Wooden Structure at Maranacock Ablaze While Scores Are Asleep -- Many Leap from Windows.

Special to The New York Times
Maranacock, Me., Aug. 26 -- Three persons were burned to death and four others seriously injured in a fire which destroyed the Maranacock Hotel here this morning. There were more than eighty guests asleep in the house at the time of the fire, and a score of more would have lost their lives had not the night clerk, ROBERT BOUTWELL, gone from room to room, at the risk of his own life and aroused them. BOUTELL was severely burned, and many of the guests saved themselves only by jumping from the windows on the upper floors.
The dead are:
EDWARD A. MARTIN of Auburndale, Mass., his wife and their seven-year-old son.
The injured are:
MRS. GEORGE H. HASSAM, Boston, leg broken, ankle sprained, and internal injuries.
J. W. MAXWELL, Brooklyn, N. Y., internal injuries.
MR. MAXWELL'S 10 year-old son, ankle sprained.
ROBERT BOUTWELL, Maiden, Mass., hotel clerk, burns on neck, face, and hands, and suffering from exposure.
The bodies of the MARTIN family were found after the fire when the ruins had cooled sufficiently to permit a search, revealing for the first time the fact that the fire had resulted fatally. It was Clerk BOUTWELL'S cries of alarm and pounding upon the doors that first aroused the guests, who, without waiting to dress or get their personal effects, rushed into the smoke-filled corridors.
Many of those on the second and third floors climbed down on ladders, which Clerk BOUTWELL and others put up to the windows. BOUTWELL, who is only seventeen years old, continued the work of rescue until it was believed that all had escaped. During this time he was badly burned and was nearly suffocated by smoke. A dozen guests made their way to the upper windows, twenty or thirty feet from the ground, and jumped when it seemed certain the few rescuers at hand could not save them.
In addition to his burns young BOUTWELL suffered from exposure. He is threatened with pneumonia, and is in a critical condition. MRS. HASSAM of Boston was inijured by jumping from a window and alighting on a pile of lumber. Many of the guests lost all of their clohtes[sic] and valuables. Among these was MRS. J. W. MAXWELL of Brooklyn, who lost $700 worth of diamonds. Near-by cottagers supplied clothing to the guests who lost everything.
The hotel register was burned up and much time was lost in accounting for the guests.
The hotel was a three-story wooden building valued at $10,000. It was owned by the Maine Central Railroad. The cause of the fire is unknown.

The MR. MAXWELL referred to doubtless is W. J. MAXWELL of Brooklyn and not J. W. MAXWELL. WILLIAM J. MAXWELL is of the firm of MAXWELL & Co., dry goods, 548 FIfth Avenue, Brooklyn. With his wife, thirteen-year-old son, and Fire Marshal WILLIAM L. BEERS of Brooklyn, he lfet for Lake Maranacock a fortnight ago. FREDERICK BRUCKBAUER, his partner, got a telgram from him last night asking him to send money at once as all his personal effects had been destroyed in the fire.

The New York Times New York 1905-08-27