Skip to Content

Bangor, ME Block Fire, Jan 1896

FIRE IN A BANGOR BLOCK.

A fire, apparently of incendiary origin, broke out in the brick block owned by J. P. Bass at the foot of Main street in Bangor, Me., Saturday evening. The flames started in a closet on the third story, where no one was in the habit of going. The loss is principally by water, the fire being extinguished before much damage had been done in that manner. The water soaked to the ground floor, occupied by J. P. Tucker’s dry good store and to other parts fo the building. The adjoining store was also slightly damaged by water. The principal loss is in Tucker’s store, which cannot be estimated now. The origin of the fire was similar to other stairway fires, and it was probably set by a firebug.

Springfield Republican, Springfield, MA 20 Jan 1896



article | by Dr. Radut