Skip to Content

Biddeford, ME Pool Cottage Fire, Jun 1950

Biddeford Pool Cottage Destroyed

Flames Are Fanned By Near-Gale Winds

(Special Dispatch)

Biddeford Pool, June 17.----Fire believed to have been caused by the flooding of an oil burner this afternoon destroyed the eight-room summer home of Lewis G. Curtis, 158 Highland Avenue, Winchester, Mass., located on the "mile-stretch," so called at this resort.

Curtis estimated his loss at $8,000.

All household furnishings and the personal effects of three guests who had come here for the week end were destroyed and the Curtis family dog perished in the fire.

Fanned by a wind of near-gale velocity, which made it difficult for the firemen to keep their footing, the flames swept rapidly through the building and it was in ruins in less than an hour.

Portland Press Herald, Portland, ME 18 Jun 1950



article | by Dr. Radut