Dexter, ME Fire, Jan 1896

Town Was In Danger.

BANGOR, Me., Jan. 18.---A fire started in Dexter, 42 miles from here, about midnight last night, and at one time threatened to sweep the town. The water pressure was very low, and a message was sent to this city for assistance. A steamer was just about to leave by special train when a second message was received, saying that the fire was under control. The First National bank building and the Western Union office adjoining were burned, besides the buildings adjoining. Losses not given.

The Fitchburg Sentinel, Fitchburg, MA 18 Jan 1896



Fire in Dexter Occasions Summons For Assistance But the Call was Countermanded.

At 12:30 o'clock this morning the fire alarm sounded two strokes, the call for the chief enginer(sic) and a WHIG reporter hastened to the steamer's house on Harlow street to learn what was up.

Fire Commissioner J. F. Woodman, Chief Engineer Mason, Assistant Engineer Fellows and others arrived there and it was learned that there was a fire in Dexter and a call had been sent out for assistance. The woman telegraph operator in Dexter had sent a message to the Western Union office in this city stating that a big fire was is progress in the building in which the telegraph office and bank are located and asking the Bangor operator to telephone to the fire department for a steamer to be sent to Dexter. The message also stated that the water from the Dexter works was not working well.

She said, "We are all afire and if it gets burning well the whole business part of the town will probably go."

Operator Nash telephoned the steamer's house and Driver Ambrose Merrill did the same to Fire Commissioner Woodman, who told him to give the chief engineer's call. Mr. Woodman upon coming to the steamer's house immediately telephoned to the Maine Central depot regarding a special train for Dexter and orders having been obtained from headquarters at Portland a train consisting of an engine, flat car and caboose was made up.

In the meantime Mr. Woodman had tried telegraphing and telephoning to Dexter for authority from the selectmen to send the steamer, as the fire apparatus is never sent away without such, but could reach nobody over the wires. Everything had been made ready to take the steamer to the Maine Central depot in case it was needed. At about 1:30 a message was received from Dexter stating that the steamer would not be needed.

The operator said the water was working better and the fire seemed to be under control. The extent of the fire or origin could not be learned.

Bangor Daily Whig and Courier, Bangor, ME 18 Jan 1896

Continued on page 2