Berea, KY Deadly House Fire, Mar 1947
FIVE DIE IN FIRE NEAR MT. VERNON.
Berea, Ky., March 26 (UP) -- Five members of a family near here were burned fatally when a fire destroyed their house near Mt. Vernon, it was learned today.
Hospital authorities here treated HENRY PAYNE, the father, for burns about the face and hands. Attendants said ELIZABETH PAYNE, 15 and her small brother, FRANK, 3, died at the hospital yesterday.
Reports were that MRS. NANNIS PAYNE, 42, and two other small children were not rescued from the burning home. The fire, which occurred Monday night, was believed caused by defective wiring.
Middlesboro Daily News Kentucky 1947-03-26