Louisville, KY - Girl, 18, Killed By Car Fumes; - 19 December 1967

Courier Journal newspaper, Louisville, KY
19 December 1967


An 18-year-old girl has died and her 19-year-old boyfriend was hospitalized yesterday as the result of carbon monoxide poisoning from an auto exhaust.

Deputy Coroner Charles Proctor blamed carbon monoxide for the death of MISS PAULA KAY HARDY, 18, of 3233 W. Jefferson, who was pronounced dead at SS. Mary & Elizabeth Hospital at 12:15 a.m. yesterday.

Her boyfriend, D.---C. J.----, 19, of ---- Taylor Blvd., told police that he and MISS HARDY were warming up the motor of his family's car in the garage at his home about 9:30 or 10 p.m.

Student at Ahrens Trade

He said he recalled switching off the motor about 10 minutes later, but apparently lost consciousness. He awakened to find the girl unconscious, lying partly out of the car, and drove to the hospital. He is in satisfactory condition at SS. Mary & Elizabeth.

The girl was an Ahrens Trade High School student and a member of St. Columba Catholic Church.

Survivors include her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph R. Hardy, Jr.; two sisters, April and Gail; a brother, Patrick; grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Weisfeld, of Cincinnati, and Mr. and Mrs. Josheph R. Hardy, Sr., Champaign, IL, and a great-grandmother, Mrs. May Noonan.

The funeral will be at 9 a.m. tomorrow at St. Columba Church, 3514 W. Market, with burial in Calvary Cemetery. The body is at Owen Funeral Home, 2611 Virginia.

KY Death Certificate #063-31135

Find A Grave Memorial# 67671399