Traer, IA High School Fire, Apr 1917
TRAER HIGH SCHOOL BUILDING BURNED; OCCUPANTS ESCAPE.
Traer, Ia., April 10. -- (Special) -- A class of girls which was rehearsing in the Traer high school last night for an operetta narrowly escaped death when fire broke out. All were rescued without harm, although many were hysterical. The fire almost totally destroyed the building, which was erected eight years ago. It is believed to have originated thru defective wiring in the attic, as the fire broke out in the roof and manual training room on the attic floor.
The school cost $43,000 when erected and estimates are that it could not now be duplicated for less than $60,000. It was insured for $30,000. The school board has wired for books and will secure quarters in which the classes may be conducted, planning to resume work next week. A new building will be erected as soon as possible.
Waterloo Evening Courier Iowa 1917-04-10