Logan, IA Train Wreck, Jul 1896 - Dead and Injured

Roll Of The Dead:
The roll of the dead belonging in Omaha numbers eighteen names, the complete list being as follows:
JOHN McDERMOTT, Sixteenth and Nicholas Streets; machinist at the Union Pacific shops.
JOHN KINSEY, 4603 Corning Street.
ROBERT CLAIR, 1839 North Eighteenth Street; son of John Clair, ex-assistant boiler inspector.
JOHN H. JACK, Sixteenth and Webster Streets; newsboy employed by the Omaha News company on railway trains.
JOHN LARSON, 1113 North Eighteenth Street; aged about 16 years; was employed as a carrier for the World Herald.
FRED NIELSON, 222 South Thirty-third Street; son of Andrew Nielson, who is in St. Joseph's Hospital.
JOHN B. KILKER, 880 South Seventeenth Street;
member of Seventh Ward Band.
OWEN CAVANAUGH, 1562 North Eighteenth Street; aged about 18 years.
HUGH DODSON, 4314 Emmett Street; aged about 12 years.
MRS. KATE BRADLEY and BABY, 1410 North Eighteenth Street.
MRS. P. J. CARROLL and BOY, the latter aged about 6 years.
PATRICK SCULLY, 2524 Center Street; stationary engineer at the Union Pacific shops.
MISS MARY TRACY, 1107 North Eighteenth Street.
JOHN COSGROVE, 1111 North Eighteenth Street; aged 18 years.
WILLIAM COSGROVE, same address; aged 14 years.
MISS MARGARET COSGROVE, same address, aged 24 years.
In addition to these the following residents of other towns were killed, incrasing the list to twenty-four, but there are still several not accounted for, two of the doctors who went to the scene from Omaha stating that they counted the dead bodies, one placing the number at twenty-eight and the other at twenty-nine. The list, so far as it has been obtained, is as follows:
CHARLES HEIMAN, Missouri Valley.
WALTER JENNNGS, Missouri Valley.
GEORGE WININGER, Morrison, Ill.; brakeman on the excursion train.
LAWRENCE PETERS, 914 Ninth Avenue, Council Bluffs.
MISS OLLIE WILSON, 1511 Ninth Avenue, Council Bluffs.
MRS. TAYLOR and BABY, Council Bluffs.

List Of The Injured:
The injured who were in such condition as to require medical attendance were taken to St. Joseph's Hospital. There were twenty-nine of these and the hospital force was kept on the jump by the sudden influx, but by noon all had been attended to and the physicians reported that all of the victims were doing well. Regarding those injured internally the doctors said at least two or three days would be required before their fate would be determined, but all of the others were said to be doing well and several were expected to be able to leave the hospital within the next day or so.

Continued on Page 2.