Goshen, IN Theater Block Fire, Dec 1906

The Block on Fire Before the Fire Downtown Goshen 1905

GOSHEN HAS GREATEST FIRE IN HISTORY OF CITY.

LARGE NEW BUSINESS BLOCK DESTROYED.
LOSS IS $150,000.

Goshen, Ind., Dec. 19. -- The most disastrous conflagration that has ever visited this city occurred last evening, when the new Jefferson block, built last year, covering a quarter of a square, was totally destroyed by fire. The loss will approximate $150,000, with about 45 per cent insurance. The heaviest losses were:
SANDERS, HAY & NEIDIG, on building, $95,000.
STIVER & SMITH, furniture house, $40,000.
Elks' lodge and club rooms, $6,000.
STAUFFER & ECKLEBARGER, $2,000.
DR. IHRIG'S office, $2,000.
The fire, it is thought, had its origin in STIVER & SMITH'S furniture store from excelsior stored in the basement.
The city of Elkhart sent a hose wagon and a half dozen firemen on a special train to aid the local fire department.
Goshen's handsome ground floor theater, located in the building, the finest in northern Indiana, dedicated by RICHARD MANSFIELD on November 6 of last year, was destroyed. Among those suffering smaller losses were:
DR. A. C. YODER, loss $1,000.
HARRY G. SOMERS, manager of the Jefferson theater, loss $800.
Jefferson Cafe, loss $600.
MRS. CHLOE DOMER, millinery, loss $500.
W. W. HATCH & Sons, general contractors, valuable papers destroyed, members of firm not at home.
O. D. HOWELL & Son, electrical contractors and Jefferson club, nominal losses.

The Fort Wayne Sentinel Indiana 1906-12-19