Aurora, IN Fire, Sept 1882
September 4, 1882, occurred the greatest fire at Aurora, that the city ever experienced, by which was consumed nearly a whole block of buildings. The fire originated in the chair factory of John Cobb & Co., on Bridgeway Street, nearly opposite the Indiana House. The wind was blowing a sweeping gale from the burning building right into the heart of the city, and most of the surrounding buildings were wooden structures. The fire extended in every direction, except to the north. The Indiana House burned, everything east of it on Fourth Street, John Siemantelâ€™s buildings on Third Street, also Adolph Mannâ€™s saloon, and all the out-houses between Third and Fourth Streets, and the first alley east of Bridgeway, burned. On the west side of Bridgeway Street the chair factory, engine-house, dry house and ware-house, a carpenter shop and brick dwelling, and all buildings there between Third and Fourth and First, were burned. Seventy-five thousand dollars worth of property, covering a whole square, was nearly wiped out. The steam fire engine from the Walsh & Kellogg Distillery, of Lawrenceburgh, was sent down, and one telegraphed for from Cincinnati, but did not come as the fire was got under control. The principal losses were as follows: John Cobb & Co., $30,000, insurance to the amount of $8,000; Mrs. Brewington, $5.000;no insurance; John H. Siemautel, $7,000, insurance $3,000; Adolph Stamm, $6,000, insurance $3,000; M. Giegoldt, $15,000, insurance $6,000.
History of Dearborn and Ohio Counties, Indiana, 1885, pages 320-321