Angola, IN House Fire, May 1880

FOUR PERSONS FALALLY[sic] BURNED.

ANGOLA, Ind., May 15.----At an early hour this morning the dwelling owned by G. W. McConnell and occupied by Mrs. Smith was destroyed by fire. Mrs. Smith was absent at the time, attending a dance several miles distant. She left three children at home, a boy 14 years old, and two girls of the ages of 9 and 5 years, who perished in the flames. A man named David Fry, a cigar maker, who was sleeping in the cellar, also perished. He had gone there late last night in an intoxicated condition. He was unmarried and 25 years old. The fire originated in the chimney. The roof of the building fell in before the fire was discovered. The charred remains of the children were gathered together this afternoon, and will be buried to-morrow. The loss on the building is $1,000; no insurance.

The New York Times, New York, NY 16 May 1880