Boise, ID Yates Building Fire, Dec 1910

FIRE IN YATES BUILDING
DEPARTMENT PREVENTS MORE THAN NOMINAL DAMAGE.

Overheated Charcoal Stove Said to Have Been Cause of the Blaze.

Quick work by Night Watchman Joseph Boyle and a prompt response by the fire department probably saved the new Yates building at Tenth and Grove streets from total destruction Wednesday evening. Fire Chief Fulton states that the building is a fire menace, though it conforms with the building ordinance.

The building is in process of plastering, and a number of salamanders or charcoal stoves are set to burn throughout the structure for the purpose of drying fresh plaster. In making his rounds a little before 8 o’clock Boyle discovered that one of the stoves on the second floor had become overheated and had burned through the sand box in which it had been placed, igniting the flooring beneath. Boyle threw a bucket of water on the blaze, but the water had little effect on it, and the watchman saw that unless help was summoned at once the fire would be beyond his control. He immediately turned in an alarm.

The apparatus from the central station was rushed to the scene, and a tank of chemical extinguisher soon quenched the blaze. The damage was nominal.

In speaking of the affair Fire Chief Fulton said; “That building is simply a shipload of lumber surrounded by a thin brick wall. It is not the only one of its kind that has been thrown up here in the past year either. The erection of such buildings should be prohibited.”

The Yates building is classed as a slow-burning building. Practically all of the interior walls and all the floors are in wood. It is lathed throughout and will simply be plastered over.

Idaho Statesman, Boise, ID 22 Dec 1910