Sand Point, ID Sewer Gas Explosion, May 1916

2 Hurled Through Door

Sewer Gas at Sand Point Explodes and Three Are Burned.

Sand Point, Idaho, May 29. – Three men were burned, two of them seriously, here today in an explosion of sewer gas, caused, it is believed, by a lighted candle.

Fred HELVERSON, employed at the city’s septic tank pump station, was burled ten feet through a narrow trapdoor in a sheet of flame. Ole Ben DIXON, although stunned at first and his clothing on fire, managed to climb a ladder and was lifted out by HELVERSON. J. K. ASHLEY, Jr., city engineer, sustained minor injuries and burns by being blown through an open doorway.

Oregonian, Portland, OR 31 May 1916