Atlanta, GA Vaudeville House Fire, Nov 1901

ATLANTA VAUDEVILLE HOUSE BURNED.

AUDIENCE GETS OUT SAFELY -- PERFORMERS LOSE WARDROBES -- LOSS $75,000.

Atlanta, Ga., Nov. 6. -- The Lyceum Theatre, Atlanta's vaudeville house, was destroyed by fire this afternoon. A performance was being given when the fire broke out, but the audience was dismissed in time to prevent a panic. FREDERICK JONES, a fireman, was rescued, badly burned, from an upper window, and ROY DANNER, an electrician, was injured by a fall. The fire was preceded by an accident which caused some uneasiness in the theatre. An immense electric sign extending across Edgewood Ave., in front of the house, fell at 2:30, just as the performance began, throwing two electricians to the ground, and injuring one of them -- ROY DANNER.

A network of wires fell across the street and in the vicinity of the theatre. The wires became crossed, and burned out a feedbox at the entrance to the theatre. The smoke found its way into the house and caused considerable excitement in the audience. Some of those inside attempted to go out, but were immediately stopped and urged to remain seated, and the performance proceeded. One hour later the roof of the theatre was discovered on fire, and, fearing harm, the management dismissed the audience, the exit being expedited by the ushers. In less than an hour the theatre was in ruins. Only a portion of the wardrobes of the twelve persons playing at the Lyceum this week was saved. All the scenery was burned.

R. Coley Anderson, lessee and manager of the theatre, says the loss will be about $75,000, with insurance of $45,000. The theatre was owned by the Cunningham estate, of Atlanta, and T. H. Bowies, of Milwaukee. It was at one time under the control of Henry Greenwald, of New Orleans.

New York Daily Tribune 1901-11-07