Skip to Content

Washington, DC Hardware Store Fire, Jan 1912

First Fire of Day.

The first fire yesterday was in the Barber & Ross hardware store, at Eleventh and G streets northwest It was discovered in the basement at 6:35 o'clock by the watchman, who sent in an alarm. A second alarm was sent in by the battalion chief when he arrived, fearing the blaze would spread to nearby buildings. The fire was caused by an overheated furnace, and caused $75 damage.

The Washington Post, Washington, DC 15 Jan 1912



article | by Dr. Radut