Washington, DC House Fires, Jan 1912

Slight damage was caused to the home of Mrs. Adele Hillyer, of 21 Hillyer place northwest, yesterday morning by a chimney fire. Engine Company No.9 was called to extinguish the blaze.

A defective flue in the home of Uppier Morehead, at 1733 K street northwest, caused a small fire yesterday afternoon, with slight damage No 1 engine quickly extinguished the fire with chemical apparatus

The Washington Post, Washington, DC 15 Jan 1912

--------

Thawing out a gas meter with burning rags caused a lead connection to melt and start a blaze yesterday morning in the house of J. M. Pemberton, at 322 N street northwest No 7 Engine Company was called, and extinguished the blaze, with $25 damage.

The Washington Post, Washington, DC 15 Jan 1912

--------

Blaze at Kramer Street Home.

Fire caused $75 damage yester afternoon in a second-story back room of the home of James T Anderson, 1641 Kramer street northeast The fire was discovered before it had gained headway in the woodwork.

A defective fireplace in an adjoining house caused a fire in the home of Mrs. Margaret McKee, 1224 New Jersey avenue northwest yesterday afternoon Truck Company No. 4 was called and extinguished the blaze with slight damage.

William Stuermann, of 17 Chestnut street, Takoma Park, D. C., saved the fire apparatus a long run in the cold yesterday afternoon by appointing himself chief of the local fire department in fighting a blaze in his home A curtain in a second-floor room had caught fire from a gas jet, and Stuermann extinguished the blaze after it had threatened to be of considerable proportions The damage is estimated at $50

A burning portiere, ignited by an oil lamp caused $10 damage yesterday morning in the home of Mrs. Rena Hine, 502 Rhode Island avenue northwest. Three fire engines were called to the home.

The Washington Post, Washington, DC 15 Jan 1912