Washington, DC Metropole Clubhouse Fire, Dec 1904

METROPOLITAN CLUB FIRE.

House of Washington's Most Fashionable Social Organization Destroyed.

WASHINGTON, Dec. 21 – The Metropolitan Clubhouse, the home of the most fashionable club in Washington, was destroyed by fire to-day. Involving an estimated loss of from $80,000 to $100,000, partially covered by insurance. The fire was caused by a spark from an electric wire. The fire started about 5 o'clock this morning and was not extinguished until nearly five hours later. Watchman DEPONAI, who gave the alarm, was overcome by smoke, but was released.
A library, estimated to be worth upward of $15,000, and containing some volumes that could not be replaced escaped practically uninjured, and the flames did not reach the wine cellar.

New York Times New York 1904-12-22