Washington, DC Train Collision, Apr 1875


Washington, April 16. -- A collision occurred on the Baltimore & Ohio Railway this afternoon near the Easton Branch between the 4:53 train from this city and the New York train due here at 5:13 this afternoon. The Eastern passengers were severely injured and both trains were badly wrecked. The engineer on the Northern bound train did not stop,
long enough on the switch near the tunnel to allow the other train to pass, but proceeded on his way and met the latter train just around the curve cuming at full speed, that train being entitled to the right-of-way.
The crash caused by the collision was fearful, both engines and four cars being completely demolished, the tender of the engine being thrown on the top of the wreck, and the baggage car on the top of its engine. Three of the cars wrecked were attached to the north bound and the fourth one to the south bound train. Nine persons were severely injured and several others slightly hurt. JACOB FRIE, engineer of the in-coming train, says that the north bound train should have remained on the switch at the mouth of the tunnel at least 15 minutes, even if he had been behind time, but he was on time, and looked at his watch just after crossing the bridge, when he found he had one minute to reach the switch. Just then he sighted the other train coming around the curve. He immediately put on the air brakes, reversed his engine and jumped, breaking his leg. The company will immediately make an examination into the circumstances attending the disaster.

Washington, April 27. -- In addition to the names of the injured given in last night's dispatch, are the following:
HUGH KERMAN, of Baltimore, formerly proprietor of the Comique of this city. Both ankles were badly smashed.
S. T. EVERETT, city treasurer of Cleveland, Ohio, severe cut on the forehead.
H. R. STEVENS, of Ohio, slight cut on back of left hand.
G. F. NEEDHAM, clerk Auditor's office, both legs bruised below the knees.
CRITTENDER CRONE, a brakeman on the Philadelphia train, right knee slightly bruised.
J. H. ROBINSON, of this city, badly bruised about the knee.
Conductor BUCHANAN, in an account of the accident, says he left on time, and after passing the navy yard station the train was going fast, and on the track it should not be upon. He pulled the bell rope for the engineer to down brakes and stop.
The rope was pulled a second time for the stoppage of the train, and again was not properly responded to. At this time BUCHANAN was in the rear of the passenger car looking after tickets. When he found his directions were neither noticed or obeyed, and that his train was increasing its speed, he became alarmed, thinking the rope in passing through the cars or over the tender had become fast, and thus prevented the bell on the engine from sounding. He started to go forward and give a verbal order for the returning of the train to the double track. The failure of the gong to sound, or the engineer to hear and obey, caused the accident. Before BUCHANAN could leave the car the two engines had met. BUCHANAN had just reached the car door and was about opening it, when the collisioni jammed his head through the glass window, inflicting severe wounds. He feels satisfied that if the signal had been properly and promptly answered by the engineer the catastrophe
would have been avoided.
Engineer BECHTEL, Conductor BUCHANAN and passengers GEO. W. BAKER, THOS. COLLINS and Gen. D. ARITY, were taken to Providence hospital yesterday, and are slowly improving, but all access to them is prohibited by the physicians.

Iowa State Weekly Register Des Moines Iowa 1875-04-30