Wilmington, DE Fatal Cellar Fire, Feb 1902

WOMAN MERCHANT BURNED TO DEATH

Afflicted With Fits, Miss Chadwick Probably Upset a Lamp in the Cellar

TEARS IN LODGE ROOM

Special to The Inquirer.

WILMINGTON, Del., Feb. 12.---Miss Susan Chadwick, the proprietor of a notion and trimming store at No. 2100 Market street, was accidentally burned to death this morning. It is supposed that the woman arose to get breakfast and while doing so had a fit an upset the lamp. She had been subject to fits for some years. Miss Chadwick had recently burned her arm by falling against the stove and last night before she retired the wound was dressed by Mrs. Georgia Hammitt, who lived in the same house. This morning the woman went into the cellar with a lighted lamp and nothing was known to be wrong until Mrs. Hammitt and some other women who lived in the house detected the odor of smoke coming up stairs. About the same time George Lightcap, a milkman, found something was on fire in the house and rushed in. He found Miss Chadwick burned to a crisp. Dr. Edgar Worthington was summoned, but Miss Chadwick died in a few minutes. She was 52 years old.

The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, PA 13 Feb 1902