Danbury, CT Lamp Accident, Aug 1886

SET ON FIRE BY A MATCH.

DANBURY, Conn., Aug. 1.---Lizzie McCarty, a young woman living with her parents on Coal Pit Hill, when she started for her room last night at 10 o'clock, tried to light a lamp. The first match broke, and it's blazing head fell upon her dress. She searched for it on the floor, but, failing to find it, supposed that the sulphur had burned out, and lit her lamp with another match. Just then she smelled smoke, and discovered that her dress was in flames. She called for help, and pluckily tried to put out the fire with her hands, but before the flames were extinguished the girl was badly burned about the arms and body. She may possibly recover.

The New York Times, New York, NY 2 Aug 1886