Hartford, CT United States Hotel Fire, Jan 1867

CONNECTICUT.

Slight Fire in a Hartford Hotel.

HARTFORD, Monday, Jan. 14.

A slight fire occurred this afternoon at the United States Hotel, caused by the explosion of a quantity of naptha, used in the production of a patent gas. A plumber in repairing the pipes took his charcoal-stove into the vicinity of the naptha, which caught fire and exploded, creating quite a panic. The fire was speedily extinguished. The loss very slight.

The New York Times, New York, NY 15 Jan 1867