Denver, CO Denver Post Fire, Sept 1909

INHALED ACID FUMES

FIRE IN DENVER POST ETCHING ROOM CAUSES DEATH OF TWO FIREMEN.

Denver, Sept. 22.---Two firemen are dead and three others are being kept alive only by the administration of oxygen, and thirteen others are critically acid fumes which they inhaled in a small fire in the Denver Post's etching department. Lieutenant Chas. W. Dellhoff died yesterday afternoon. Truckman John McGlade, who was erroneously reported to have died last night, lingered until late this evening when he expired. Very little hope is left for the recovery of John Dulmage, Acting Chief Charles Eymann or Truckman S. B. Wilcox.

The Durango Democrat, Durango, CO, 15 May 1909

Comments

Correction of date

This incident occurred on September 20, 1904. The address is listed as the Denver Post, 1623 Curtis. Within a few more weeks, two more firemen died from inhalation of the acid fumes. Their names were Charles Eymann, and Frank Lunt. This brought the total number of firemen killed to four. It is one of only two occasions in the history of Denver where four firemen were killed at a single incident.