Hot Springs, AR Hotel Fire, Oct 1905

INVALIDS BURN IN HOTEL FIRE.

SIX BODIES TAKEN FROM THE RUINS AT HOT SPRINGS.

TWO OF THE BODIES ARE CHARRED BEYOND RECOGNITION -- THE HOTEL WAS FULL OF INVALIDS AND CRIPPLES AT THE TIME OF THE FIRE.

Hot Springs, Ark., October 26. -- The worst hotel fire in local history occurred early this morning when the railroad men's hotel, located a block below the Iron Mountain railroad depot on Elm Street, was destroyed.
When the fire was gotten under control six badly charred bodies were found in the ruins, and at the inquest this afternoon were identified as:
A. L. MANN, railway conductor, Denver, Colo.
MRS. MACK, city.
E. SNYDER, hotel porter.
HARRY BRADLEY, waiter Little Gem restaurant.
H. ROBERTS, Tacoma, Wash.
JOHN McLEAN, Austin, Tex.
FRANK OVERTON, badly burned, but will probably recover.
The structure was a two-story frame building and the flames spread rapidly, cutting off escape by hallway both up and down stairs. The crackling and falling timbers awakened STEVE MALCOLM
proprietor, who gave the alarm to his sleeping guests as best he could. All escapes being cut off the occupants jumped out of the second story windows and those who were injured in this manner were:
JAMES STRICKLAND, Venice, Illinois.
WILLIAM STRONG, Rock Creek, Ark.
The fire department searched the ruins for other victims, but no more were discovered. MANN was a helpless paraplygic but the position of his body showed that he had attempted to escape. The position of two bodies showed that they smothered to death while they slept. MRS. MACK came to the window, was told to jump, but refused, and perished. Three of the bodies were burned beyond recognition, and the six bodies laid out at the morgue were a sickening spectacle, and viewed by hundreds of people. MALCOLM did not keep a register, but states he lodged thirty-five persons last night, many being cripples, invalids in reduced circumstances. The fire is thought to have been caused by a lamp explosion, but incendiarism is now suspected. Those who escaped were housed at the city hall after the fire until clothing could be provided, none having had time to get even wearing apparel.

Atlanta Constitution Georgia 1905-10-27