Little Rock, AR Rooming House Fire, Aug 1929

SIX LOSE THEIR LIVES IN BLAZE.

SEVERAL OTHERS INJURED WHEN FIRE DESTROYS ROOMING HOUSE AT LITTLE ROCK.

Little Rock, Ark., Aug. 19 -- (AP) -- Six persons were burned to death and several others injured or burned in a fire in a rooming house here today.
Explosion of a gas cooking stove started the fire which trapped the victims in their upstairs rooms. The house was a fourteen room frame structure and the blaze spread rapidly through it.
The dead are:
SAMUEL J. ARCHER, 17.
HIRAM EVANS.
MARTIN KAPP.
FRANK HARTY.
DAN STRANGE.
FRANK MATHEWS.
All were roomers at the facility.
The occupants of the house consisted mostly of railroad shop employes.
The explosion occurred while the landlady, Mrs. E. L. Darragh, was preparing breakfast. Her face and hands were burned. Some of the roomers were downstairs waiting for breakfast and escaped easily, but of the seven or eight still in their rooms upstairs, all were burned fatally or injured by the fire and in leaps from windows.

Centralia Daily Journal Washington 1929-08-19