Walnut Ridge, AR Hotel Fire, Apr 1893

FATAL FIRE IN ARKANSAS.

BLAZE IN A HOTEL RESULTS IN THE LOSS OF TWO LIVES.

Walnut Ridge, April 5. -- Fire which started in the third story of the Star Hotel at 8 o'clock Saturday morning destroyed the hotel and several buildings adjoining and resulted in the loss of two lives. When the occupants of the hotel had reached the street it was discovered that the 7-year-old son of Landlord DAVIDSON was in the second story. An Irishman named FITZGERALD rushed up the burning stairs to save the child. Before either could return the walls fell and their charred bodies were found in the ruins several hours later. The flames spread to adjoining buildings and before the fire was extinguished one block and a half of the business houses of the town were destroyed. The total loss in stock and building is estimated at $125,000; insurance, $80,000.

Sterling Standard Illinois 1893-04-06

Comments

Family History Expo

Isn't it fun to read all about these amazing periods in history? The content of your website is stellar. Since you have such a following, I thought you might appreciate knowing about the 2009 California Family History Expo in Redding, Calif., Oct. 16 & 17. This expo is presented by Family History Expos, http://www.fhexpos.com, a well-established Utah-based company.