Sitka, AK Steamer RODGERS Fire, Jun 1882


Full Particulars of the Burning of the Steamer Rodgers.

Her Commander Starts on Sleds Along the Siberian Coast After the Jeannette,

And was Last Heard of Half Way to the Lena River.

After his Departure the Vessel Burns.

Terrible Hardships of the Crew.

But All are Safely Landed at Sitka.

Port Townsend, Oregon, June 21 – The steamer Idaho arrived from Sitka. The following are full reports of the burning of the United States exploring steamer Rodgers in St. Lawrence Bay and the rescue of her crew. The revenue steamer Thos. Corwin arrived at Sitka, June 3d with the officers and crew of the Rodgers. The officers landed at Sitka are Master, D. S. WARRING, executive officer G. M. STORY, assistant surgeon, M. D. JONES, assistant engineer A. V. SEANES, assistant surgeon J. D. COSTELLO and 26 men in good health the latter comprising the same crew that sailed from San Francisco all told. Lieut. M. BERRY, commander of the the [sic] Rodgers, accompanied by Ensign H. J. HUNT, left St. Lawrence Bay the 23d of Dec. to sledge the Siberian coast in search of the Jeannette. On May 13 Master WARRING received a letter through natives, from Berry at Keoyma river, April 4th, stating that he had heard the loss of the Jeannette and landing of her boat, and should his search for the survivors succeed he should not return by way of eastward and directing WARRING to take his party and make the best of his way to San Francisco and communicate with the navy department. The point where the letter was dated, was about half way between St. Lawrence and the Lena river. At the time the Rogers was burned she was lying off the shore about a mile and a half. The fire was reported at about 8:45 a. m. Everything was done to save the ship. The fire was in hold forward and the probable cause was spontaneous combustion, and the place where it originated was so situated that it was next to impossible to get a stream of water on it. The officers and crew fought flames to no purpose. The fire gained so rapidly that it became evident to her commander that all hope to save the ship would be fruitless. So about 4 p. m. the ship was headed for the

Continued on page 2