123

Nenana, AK Fire, Mar 1917

Fire At Nenana

According to information received from Nenana yesterday afternoon, the sawmill owned and operated by Sylvester Howell near that place was totally destroyed by fire Monday evening. The fire was caused by the explosion of a gasoline light in the engine room.

The plant, which is situated about ten miles north of Nenana, was moved up from hot Springs by its owner since Christmas, and has been in operation for a few weeks only. It had a capacity of approximately 10,000 feet of lumber a day, which it was figured could be doubled when the long spring days arrived. Mr. Howell had intended building a dry kiln at the mill, but whether this had been started could not be learned. It was stated that practically nothing was saved-Fairbanks Citizen.

Daily Alaska Dispatch, Juneau, AK 7 Mar 1917

123