Skip to Content

Birmingham, AL Business District Fire, July 1894

NEARLY A MILLION LOSS.

DESTRUCTIVE FIRE AT BIRMINGHAM, ALA. -- A FINE HOTEL DESTROYED.

Birmingham, Ala., July 21. -- At 1 o'clock a.m. fire broke out in STOWER'S furniture store, corner of First Avenue and Twenty-Second Street. Owing to lack of water pressure the firemen were unable to control the flames, which soon crossed Twenty-Second Street and consumed the celebrated Caldwell Hotel, the finest structure of the kind in the south. The fire spread to adjoining buildings.
The loss is $700,000; insurance $800,000.
The Caldwell Hotel was built in 1888 at a cost of $450,000. The Stower Furniture company and the Perry Mason Shoe company, who occupied the block in which the fire originated, carried heavy stocks of goods. No lives were lost. Some baggage belonging to guests of the hotel was consumed.

Logansport Journal Indiana 1894-07-22



article | by Dr. Radut